Australian Energy Regulator
The Australian Energy Regulator (AER) is the national energy market regulator. Among other things, it:
- sets the revenues that regulated network businesses can recover as well as the maximum prices they can charge
- publishes reports on network business performance in providing energy services to Australians, and
- monitors markets and enforces compliance with rules and legislation.
The AER also regulates energy retail markets in some jurisdictions, where it can:
- authorise retailers to sell energy
- approve retailers' policies for dealing with customers in hardship
- administer a national retailer of last resort scheme, and
- manage the national energy price comparison - Energy Made Easy.