Energy Security Board
Overview of the Energy Security Board
In August 2017 a new Energy Security Board (ESB), chaired by Dr Kerry Schott AO, was established by the COAG Energy Council. The Board’s role is to coordinate the implementation of the reform blueprint produced by Australia's Chief Scientist, Dr Alan Finkel AO.
The ESB will also provide whole of system oversight for energy security and reliability to drive better outcomes for consumers. The ESB comprises an Independent Chair, Independent Deputy Chair and the heads of the Australian Energy Market Commission, Australian Energy Regulator and Australian Energy Market Operator.
More information on the Overview of the ESB can be found in it's Terms of Reference.
Retailer Reliability Obligation
Integrated System Plan
At the request of the Council, the ESB developed an Integrated System Plan (ISP) Action Plan which set out twelve recommendations on:
- how Group 1 projects in the ISP can be delivered as soon as practicable
- how Group 2 and 3 projects should be progressed; and
- how the ISP would be converted into an actionable strategic plan.
The ESB is working with market bodies to progress these recommendations. A consultation paper on converting the ISP into action was released in May 2019.
Post-2025 Market Design for the National Electricity Market
The Council tasked the ESB with developing advice on a long-term, fit-for-purpose market framework to support reliability that could apply from the mid-2020's.
By the end of 2020, the ESB needs to recommend any changes to the existing market design or recommend an alternative market design to enable the provision of the full range of services to customers necessary to deliver a secure, reliable and lower emissions electricity system at least-cost.
Strategic Energy Plan
The Independent Review into the Future Security of the National Electricity Market (the Finkel Review) recommended that, by mid-2018, the Council develop and maintain a Strategic Energy Plan for the NEM. The purpose of the Strategic Energy Plan is to ensure a clear strategic focus for the Council’s work and to provide clarity of direction to market bodies and market participants. The Council has tasked the ESB with developing the Strategic Energy Plan.
Health of the National Electricity Market
Each year the ESB delivers a Health of the National Electricity Market report to the Council that tracks the performance of the system, the risks it faces, and the opportunities for improvement. The ESB has reported on the health of the NEM annually since December 2017.
The ESB was tasked by the Council with providing advice on Recommedations 1, 3, 6, 7, 14 and 41 of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission Retailer Electricity Pricing Inquiry - Final Report (June 2018).
Distributed Energy Resources (DER) Integration Workplan
Australia faces challenges and opportunities to successfully integrate Distributed Energy Resources (DER) in its electricity system. DER include controllable hot water systems and air conditioning, rooftop solar, battery storage and electric vehicles. DER are a growing part of the electricity system and the energy market institutions are working together to ensure all consumers benefit through efficient integration of DER. DER integration can be categorised into ‘technical and operational’, ‘market and business model’, and ‘regulatory and planning’ challenges and their potential solutions
The ESB has developed a DER Integration Workplan of priority actions focussed on technical, regulatory and market integration. Many of these actions are already underway and the energy market institutions are working collaboratively on implementing the Workplan with the ESB, including through the Distributed Energy Integration Program (DEIP). The DEIP is a collaborative program of work initiated by ARENA, involving the energy market institutions, industry, academic and consumer bodies. In addition, market integration of DER is part of the ESB’s broader post-2025 review of energy markets.
For more information, please contact the ESB’s DER Strategy Specialist at Gabrielle.Kuiper@esb.org.au
Recent Energy Security Board announcements
- Post 2025 Market Design Issues Paper - 2 Sep 2019
- Post 2025 Market Design for the National Electricity Market (NEM)
- Consultation on Draft Metrics for the Strategic Energy Plan - 14 Feb 2019
- Energy Security Board Consultation on ACCC Recommendations 1 and 41 - 14 Feb 2019
- Integrated System Plan - Action Plan - 19 December 2018
- Health of the NEM 2018 - 19 December 2018
- Strategic Energy Plan – metrics for consultation – 12 Nov 2018
- Energy Security Board Consultation on ACCC Recommendation 6 & 7 - 28 Sep 2018
- Energy Security Board Converting the ISP into action - 21 Sep 2018
- National Energy Market Data Strategy Consultation Paper - 20 Mar 2018
- Health of the National Electricity Market Report - 20 Dec 2017
- Report on the National Energy Guarantee - 24 Nov 2017
- National Energy Guarantee modelling – 27 Oct 2017
- Energy Security Board: Ministerial power to make rules – 18 Sept 2017
- Media release: Establishment of the Energy Security Board – 8 Aug 2017