Energy and Resources Ministers' meeting communique - 10 June 2011
Publication date: Friday, 10th June 2011.
Australian, state and territory Energy and Resources Ministers met in Perth on 10 June 2011 for a joint meeting of the Ministerial Council on Energy (MCE) and the Ministerial Council on Mineral and Petroleum Resources (MCMPR). Following a decision by the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) to reform the system of Ministerial Council, these two ministerial councils were amalgamated from 1 July 2011 to become the Standing Council on Energy and Resources.
This meeting provided Ministers with an opportunity to discuss the strategic issues and challenges facing the energy and resources sectors.
The key strategic issues Ministers discussed included:
- the impact of the introduction of a carbon price on Australia's electricity generation sector and the importance of maintaining energy security as this reform is pursued;
- investment in Australia's energy and resources sectors;
- recent increases in electricity prices, and the drivers of electricity price movements in coming years;
- petroleum regulatory reform, particularly the plan to introduce a national offshore petroleum regulator; and
- employment and skills in the resources sector.