21st Ministerial Council on Energy meeting communique - 4 December 2009
Publication date: Friday, 04th December 2009.
Australian, State and Territory Government Energy Ministers met in Hobart on 4 December 2009 for the 21st meeting of the Ministerial Council on Energy (MCE). The meeting was chaired by the Hon Martin Ferguson AM MP, Australian Government Minister for Resources and Energy.
Key outcomes from this meeting were:
- Ministers agreed their response to the Australian Energy Market Commission's review of energy market frameworks in light of climate change.
- Noting the significant investment required in the energy sector in coming years, Ministers agreed to maintain a watching brief on investment trends and to examine energy market frameworks to identify any necessary refinements to market design so as to ensure that adequate investment will be delivered in a timely manner.
- Ministers discussed the possible forward price path for energy prices, noting that ageing infrastructure, growing demand and policies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions require significant capital and operating investment in electricity generation and networks.
- Ministers agreed in principle to the Final Energy Technical and Safety Harmonisation Plan, with further work to be undertaken to progress the proposed Intergovernmental Agreement.
- Ministers noted that the Council's Standing Committee of Officials released the Second Exposure Draft of the National Energy Customer Framework for consultation on 27 November 2009.