18th Ministerial Council on Energy meeting communique - 6 February 2009
Publication date: Friday, 06th February 2009.
Australian, State and Territory Government Energy Ministers met in Canberra on 6 February 2009 for the 18th meeting of the Ministerial Council on Energy (MCE). Key outcomes from the meeting were:
- Discussion of the MCE's role in assisting energy markets to deal effectively with the implementation of the Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme and expanded Renewable Energy Target.
- Release of the Ministerial Council on Energy Forward Work Plan related to the Energy Market and Climate Change Policies.
- Requesting the Australian Energy Market Commission to undertake a review of energy market frameworks in light of the impact on electricity supplies during recent heat wave events.
- Agreement to develop a work program to give effect to the Council of Australian Governments' (COAG) national principles for feed-in tariffs for renewable energy.
- Recognition that the Energy Technical Safety Leaders Group would shortly release its discussion paper on Harmonisation of Energy Supply Industry Technical and Safety Regulation for stakeholder consultation.