7th Ministerial Council on Mineral and Petroleum Resources meeting communique - 3 August 2007
Publication date: Friday, 03rd August 2007.
Australian Government, State and Northern Territory Ministers responsible for minerals and petroleum met in Melbourne on 3 August 2007 for the 7th meeting of the Ministerial Council on Mineral and Petroleum Resources. The meeting was chaired by the Hon Ian Macfarlane MP, Australian Government Minister for Industry, Tourism and Resources.
At the meeting, Ministers:
- endorsed the process going forward for the development of the remaining strategies from the National Mine Safety Framework over the next twelve months;
- noted progress on the development and timetable of the Commonwealth's enabling legislation to provide access and property rights for carbon capture and storage through the Offshore Petroleum Act 2006;
- established a forum to continue the dialogue between industry and Government on minerals exploration;
- agreed to review and response to the recommendations of the ACIL Tasman report 'Water Reform and Industry - Implications of recent water initiatives for the mining, petroleum, energy, pulp and paper industries'; and
- endorsed terms of reference and the make up of an independent team for the review of the National Offshore Petroleum Safety Authority.