9th Ministerial Council on Mineral and Petroleum Resources meeting communique - 9 July 2009
Publication date: Thursday, 09th July 2009.
Australian Government, State and Northern Territory Ministers responsible for minerals and petroleum met in Darwin on 9 July 2009 for the 9th meeting of the Ministerial Council on Mineral and Petroleum Resources. This meeting was chaired by the Hon Martin Ferguson AM MP, Australian Government Minister for Resources and Energy.
At the meeting, Ministers:
- agreed that the Commonwealth, state and territory governments would commit $1.7 million in the first year to implement the National Mine Safety Framework and a $4.7 million over the next three years subject to a firm and agreed work program;
- noted that the global financial crisis had affected mining and resources companies largely through reduced demand and lower prices for commodities;
- agreed to develop a work program to coincide with the development of the Commonwealth Government's Energy White Paper to address issues impacting Australia's competitiveness as an investment destination;
- noted that the Productivity Commission's final report into the Regulatory Burden on the Upstream Petroleum (Oil and Gas) Sector was released to the public on 30 April 2009; and
- noted the Commonwealth released two reports stemming from the Offshore Petroleum Safety Regulatory Inquiry.