24th Ministerial Council on Energy meeting communique - 10 December 2010
Publication date: Friday, 10th December 2010.
Australian, State and Territory Government Energy Ministers met in Brisbane on 10 December 2010 for the 24th meeting of the Ministerial Council on Energy (MCE). The MCE had responsibility for national policy and governance of the Australian energy market.
In addition to discussing investment, energy market and pricing issues, Ministers:
- Agreed to the Intergovernmental Agreement on Energy Supply Industry Safety to enhance public and energy industry safety.
- Agreed to establish the Energy Supply Industry Safety Committee to implement the harmonised safety framework for the energy supply industry reflected in the Intergovernmental Agreement.
- Agreed to improve energy efficiency standards for air conditioners from October 2011 as supported by the Decision Regulatory Impact Statement.
- Welcomed the passage of the National Energy Customer Framework legislation package through the lower house in the South Australian Parliament.
- Agreed to work towards a target commencement date of 1 July 2012 for the National Energy Customer Framework.